Friday, January 9, 2009

Time

I guess this was gonna go up sooner or later. If you've noticed the dates of my blog entries, there's been a two-day (I think?) gap between my last entry and this one. Care to hazard a guess why?

No, my life isn't uninteresting enough to merit nothing to blog about. No, I haven't been playing games although that's possible. No, I haven't been chasing girls, aunty or otherwise. No, I haven't been doing nothing but cleaning my room.

If you haven't guessed what the reason is by now despite the title and your monitor burning a nice picture of a clock into your retinas, I recommend Sudoku.

Anyway. Past two days has been chock full with stuff. Loads of stuff. First thing of note was the fact that I was voted student representative for my year. Now, I hope you don't think that I'm blowing my own horn or anything (those who know me well enough also know the extent of which I blow my horn in the car - not very impressive). We initially wanted to vote the natural extrovert that everyone usually crowds around, but he declined due to family commitments. Excuses! Next tossup in the vote was the one who voted the first guy, which happened to me. Me and my big mouth. I initially wanted to decline as well, since I know that leadership isn't my strength, and I'm more effective as a community builder from the inside, but the existing Student EXCO President mentioned that leadership isn't his strong point too, and that clicked something in me. I could look at this in two ways: it could be a burden, or an opportunity. I figured that I could run from this now, but in the future I was likely to be chucked into a leadership position anyway, given my choice of profession. Might as well prepare myself now, eh? Besides, I don't think it's that big a deal at the moment.

I'm gonna read this entry again a couple of months in the future and laugh at my naivete, I'm sure.

We also had a class on Time Management. I dunno if I was expecting it, but wow, life on campus is gonna be pretty similar to the life I had before I came here. Namely, having a crazy full schedule where sleep is a necessity rather than a luxury. It's unlikely that I will be able to have my preferred 8 hours of sleep, and will be more accustomed to 6 to 6 and a half hours of sleep per day. Oh well. Studying, reading, and assignments will be taking up a huge chunk of our time. I'm also the kind that procrastinates. I really don't want to do that this time, especially with the huge amount of dire warnings put forth by our seniors.

Next day we had our annual retreat, where I finally met all the other students on campus... The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years. My roommate finally turned up, and turned out to be a Chinese guy who speaks little English, so communication is scarce. We pretty much co-exist peacefully. His answer to all my questions are usually 'Also can.' Although I'd wish for more responses than that, but that'd suffice regarding stuff like keeping the windows closed after six to avoid mozzie buffets.

Got ambushed the night before by the student worship coordinator to play bass the following morning. Turned out all the training I had under Susan paid off. Was able to apply and share with the band members with suggestions, band dynamics, etc. Was again ambushed today in the afternoon to play for tomorrow morning. I guess things aren't that different here after all, hehe.

I think I'll wrap it up for tonight. If you've noticed, this entry isn't very entertaining. I don't feel particularly inspired or witty at the moment, but there's just two days' worth of stuff to share that I wanted to chuck down before I forgot. There's actually more, but this has to do for now.

'til next time.

- Shearn

1 comment:

  1. Congrats. It's certainly better than being bored!

    But do reply to Dad's email. Luv.

    ReplyDelete