Thursday, January 13, 2011

More Toolman Moments

*Grunt grunt*

My Guitar Hero World Tour guitar controller stopped working one day because I had left the batteries in for a few months, and they had leaked. After trying to clean the battery terminals with a variety of things (ranging from tissues, cotton buds, nail polish remover, WD-40, etc.) and failing to get it to work, I finally opened it up. What I found, was that the ground wire connected to the battery terminal had been eaten by battery corrosion, and had been disconnected.

Enter my newly purchased soldering iron (my very own cheapy one that takes an eternity to heat up to solder-melting heights).

I cleaned off whatever battery corrosion was left with baking soda (from a cake shop) dissolved in water, and went at the wire clipping, stripping, solder removal, and re-soldering for both live and ground wires to balance it.

So here's the controller all opened up:


Here's a close up of the affected wires, already re-soldered:


So here's the most important part after it's been reassembled:


See the red lights? It works! :D

I can finally have a full band again in Rock Band 2 (at least until I get the keyboard controller for Rock Band 3).

No comments:

Post a Comment